Rougham Control Tower
The bombing of Pearl Harbor marked the entry of the United States of America into the Second World War and the European conflict.
Rougham Airfield (RAF Bury St Edmunds) was constructed in 1941/42 and brought into service as a USAAF airfield. It was constructed to a standard design having a 2000 yard main runway aligned East-West and two other smaller runways running South East-North West and South West-North East. The airfield had two T2-type hangars, a technical site and living accommodation for 3000 personnel. It became officially Station 468.
After a short period when the airfield accommodated the 47th Bomb Group who were equipped with A-20 Havocs, the 322nd Bomb Group arrived in December 1942 and their aircraft, B-26 Marauders, arrived in May 1943.
In June 1943 the 94th Bomb Group moved from Earls Colne in Essex to Rougham Airfield as it was more suited for B17 operations and 322 squadron moved to St Andrews Field near Great Dunmow in Essex. While at Rougham the 94th flew more than 300 missions including Regensburg and Brunswick for which the group was given one of two Presidential Citations.
The 94th was one of the last units to return to the United States after the Second World War, having stayed to carry out missions of leafleting and movement of displaced persons. The group left Bury St Edmunds in December 1945 and the site returned to the control of the Royal Air Force.
The main building, the Control Tower passed into residential use until it was restored to its original condition.